Kent FA County U18 Youth Cup Match Report (Sheppy Utd)

The Kent FA County U 18 Youth Cup

                    25th November at the Havill Stadium Holm Park Sheerness

                            Match result Sheppey United 0 St Peter FC 8

The St Peters U 18 team had the worst possible build up to their important 3rd round cup tie against a team lying in third position in the Kent Premier league South. A major accident on the M25 caused the motorway to be closed for several hours and a journey estimated to take an hour turned into a nightmare 4 hours. The start was delayed for two hours and the team on arrival,had to forego the warm up and line up straight away. Four members of the team joined the party at Gatwick having just completed a school tour playing three games in four days against 3 top public-school teams. Sol Solomon played the whole game for the first team against Rochester United the day before, which went to extra time.

 In front of a crowd of around 250 including scouts from Millwall, Gillingham and Dover FC’s  the game got under way with both teams testing each other . St Peters threatened on a number of occasions without putting the ball in the net

It took until the 35th minute before a great passing movement ended with Solomon chipping  the ball in to give the Jersey team a deserved lead. Having made the breakthrough and ostensibly used the first 30 minutes as a warm up, the game turned decisively when in the 38th minute Solomon won the ball on the halfway line and outpaced the Sheppey defence to hit a fine strike to the keepers bottom right corner. A minute later following a corner, Tommy Boarer, made the day for his watching family, with a great strike across the keeper from a tight angle to give St Peter their third goal in four minutes. This visibly took the sting out of a willing Sheppey side and half time came with St Peter 3-0 to the good.

As to be expected the Sheppey side came out for the second half full of determination but St Peter were now moving up a gear and playing some delightful football which was  being appreciated by the home crowd. In the 57th minute Solomon completed his hat-trick.

With James Carr and Ben Hamilton dominant at the centre of the Blues defence, Josh Jehan in the visitor’s goal, was not put under a great deal of pressure but was very efficient and tidy in everything he was called on to do. In the 58th minute Ryan Marcinko made in 5-0 from more excellent play when a cross to the far post found him with sufficient space to hit home. With the full backs Thomas and Soares getting forward at every opportunity the problems for Sheppey were growing by the minute. A foray by Olavo Soares ended with him being fouled on the edge of the area, he picked the ball up as if to say this one’s mine and struck a firm well placed free kick which hit the back of the net giving the keeper absolutely no chance. 67 minutes 6-0 to St Peter. The Jersey team’s management gave their young subs the opportunity to stake their claim for a future start. They replaced the lads whose legs were just beginning to wobble after their exploits in games earlier in the week. Rather than make life easier for the Kent team the pressure mounted. Dias took over at right back, Jack Moyse replaced James Carr, Danny Fernandes played wide right with young Luke Lister and Jan Bentley, who replaced the outstanding Solomon, supplying the threat up front. Both got on the score sheet with Luke Lister scoring a fine goal in the 69th minute to make it seven. Jan Bentley, who was proving a real nuisance to the home defence, got his just desserts with

an opportunist goal in the 85th minute to seal a remarkable victory against a highly rated Kent team. The management team of Rui Marques assisted by Karl Benest and Rogerio Soares know full well that this result will send a warning to the other 7 teams left in this competition and they will have to continue to be at their very best if they are to have any chance of continuing their progress in this competition. The draw for the quarter final takes place on Tuesday and those matches will be played on the 27th January.

After the game coach Rui Marques said “ It took a little while to take control of the game, which was understandable under the circumstances. Sheppey united caused us a couple of problems during the first 15 minutes due to their aggression and pressing style. We showed bravery and skill to  win the ball and keep possession in our defensive third  under such a high press. We trusted our philosophy, we knew we had the quality to play out and create space behind Sheppey’s backline. We continue to score freely but as a coach it’s the way we are creating our chances that I’m really happy about. Its satisfying to see that what we work on in training is transferring into our matches and this is down to the attitude and determination of the players. They are always seeking to improve and we are extremely proud of them for the effort and the skills they showed today”

St Peter FC Head Coach Ian Solomon who was also at the game commented “ The boys played exceptional football at times whilst being respectful of the opposition. They were a credit to themselves , St Peter FC and Jersey”.

For the record this team have now played 15 games this season including a pre-season tour to Kent, they have won all 15 games scoring 99 goals  and conceding 11 . The last goal conceded was on the 7th October having kept a clean sheet in their last 5 games.

The St Peter FC team v Sheppey United . Jehan, Thomas, Soares, Boarer, Carr, Hamilton, Pereira, Ritzema, Lowery., Solomon, Marcinko. Subs Dias , Lister, Moyes-McKay, Fernandes, Bentley.

Management Rui Marques, Karl Benest and Rogerio Soares

Assistant Official Ian Solomon.

For further information

Brian Foulser 851075 email

Ian Solomon 07797 754147 email

Rui Marques 07797 790388 email