Kent FA Youth Cup Report (2nd Round)


St Peter’s U 18’s turn on the style to beat the joint favourites in the Kent FA Youth Cup.

St Peter FC U18’s travelled to the Cobdown Stadium in Aylesford Kent on Sunday for their 2nd round Kent FA Youth Cup fixture against last season’s beaten finalists and 2018 winners, K Sports.

With an earlier than normal 10am start and a good crowd in attendance, the game got underway with St Peter missing three key players and two 15 year olds and two 16 year olds in the starting line-up.

The Jersey side played at a high tempo from the start, dominating the play with nice passes and some scintillating moves that were applauded by the home crown. Controlling the mid field through Tommy Boarer, Jamie Ritzema and Luke lister they created three clear cut chances for Ryan Marcinko that were fired narrowly wide. It was something of a shock when in their first real threatening attack, K Sports caught St Peter on the counter attack and their striker hit an outstanding first time volley to the Pierce Roche’s bottom right hand corner giving the keeper no chance. Taking the lead, seemed to inspire the Kent side who came more into the game and created a couple of good chances to enhance their one goal advantage. In the 25th minute some slick one touch passing set full back Andre Dias free and his forceful run saw the defence open up to allow him to hit a fierce drive from 30 yards which the K’s keeper could only parry and Ryan Marcinko seized on the loose ball to make it 1-1. St Peter had most of the possession for the remainder of the half, however both teams had the chance to take the lead but the two keepers did all that was required of them to prevent any further goals. The two teams went into the half time break with honours even but with St Peter ruing that their dominance of possession had not been turned into goals.

St Peter’s came out for the second half continuing to dominate the possession but looking to have an extra level of determination to make it count. The back four of Rhys Thomas, Ben Hamilton, Kacper Smilek and Andre Dias were shutting the door to K Sports as an attacking force and 15 year Pierce Roche was looking increasingly confident between the posts and Jan Bentley was working extremely hard up and down the right flank

The level of football was at times breath taking and it was no more than St Peter deserved when a fast flowing passing movement between the three midfield players, young Jamie Ritzema, Luke Lister to Tommy Boarer saw the latter play a quick one two with Danny Fernandes before pinpointing a pass into the path of Ryan Marcinko, who adroitly slotted the ball past the keeper in the 65th minute for his second goal of the game. To the frustration of the whole St Peter team K Sports won a corner down the right and their tall centre back brought the scores level when he climbed above the reds defence to head firmly home in the 68th minute. From being outplayed the home team were now back in the game and the momentum appeared to be with them. It was reds though who were inspired and galvanised ,they looked odds on to make it 3-2 when a beautiful pass out to the left found Danny Fernandes who clearly had the pace to take him past the last defender however the wide man suddenly collapsed with a severe ankle injury which conversely finished his impressive game. The skipper and talisman of the Jersey Parish team, Toby Ritzema, who had been confined to the bench recovering from injury then came on in the 70th minute for Fernandes with the brief to settle the game down. Toby wasn’t going to settle for that, a driving run took him clear of the K defence and an exquisite pass found the inspirational Tommy Boarer on the edge of the goal area who brilliantly lobbed the keeper. 73 minutes 3-2 St Peter. Were St Peter now going to put the shutters up? From the kick, off the reds quickly won the ball through a determined Luke Lister, a quick one two with sub Declan Pyne and a well-judged pass by Lister found Toby Ritzema, Toby glided past a couple of defenders to slide the ball perfectly to Marcinko for him to fire the ball home for his hat-trick in the 76th minute. The celebrations involved all 11 players. 4 -2 St Peters, the score line now was beginning to reflect their dominance. The coaching team immediately took Toby Ritzema off and replaced him with Dougie McDermott. Those 7 incredible minutes on the pitch had had the most dramatic influence on the outcome of the game. There was still time for K Sports to show some real verve and determination and in the 85th minute a shot from 30 yards struck the St Peter bar. The Jersey side locked the door and prevented any further chances and St Peter finished the game as victors, having defeated last year’s beaten finalists in round two following their victory over last season’s semi-finalist in round one.

St Peter U18 FC team.

Pierce Roche: Rhys Thomas, Andre Dias, Ben Hamilton, Kacper Smilek, Jamie Ritzema, Tommy Boarer, Luke Lister: Jan Bentley, Ryan Marcinko, Danny Fernandes:

Subs: Declan Pyne, Douglas Mc Dermott, Toby Ritzema

Coaches: Karl Benest and Anthony Lister.

Goal scorers: Marcinko 3 Boarer 1

After the game Karl Benest said “ I was delighted with the team performance, every single one of them, they were outstanding against a team who have won the cup in two of the last three years and were lasts years beaten finalists. The team gave everything, battling hard, giving nothing away at the back and playing some brilliant passing football. We have beaten two of the favourite teams in the first two rounds and who knows where this could take us. A special mention for young 15 year old Jamie Ritzema who was my man of the match. He was outstanding in winning the ball and controlling the midfield throughout the game and his understanding with Tommy Boarer and Luke Lister was sublime. Anthony Lister went on to say” Every single player in the squad was outstanding. We could not have asked for any more. At times the football was breath-taking and we were close to being unplayable. We thoroughly deserved our win”

The third round is in the second half of November. The draw will be made at the beginning of November.

For further Information

Brian Foulser email Tel:851075

Karl Benest               Tel: 07700 369911

Anthony Lister.