U16 v Grouville – match report

This Sunday the U16 were hosts to Grouville.

Brian Foulser following his article in the JEP last week, asked the U16 to uphold the academy record of no defeats in three weeks, potentially a large ask. Grouville have won every game this season, play in the U18 league and have 7 or 8 island players I lose count, its a lot. However the “voice” and coaches felt given the lads recent performances this was within the capabilities of the squad, with the key threats identified the U16 took to the field.

As was expected Grouville were at St Peter from the start, passed the ball around well and kept the lads under constant pressure. Tom arguably had one of the toughest tasks in cancelling out the threat of Jake Syvret, eventually Grouville broke through with their first goal coming through the middle, the second following a slip from defence which enabled Syvret to cut in side and score the second. St Peter mustered one shot of note in the first half through Elliot, who entered the box shot early, the ball looking destined for the top right hand corner only to be tipped around the post by the island keeper. Half time 2 nil down. Following a half time dressing down from the “voice”, I stayed outside for coffee, but I could hear eTvery word. No wonder he has a job as an after dinner compere – no need for a microphone.

The lads started the second half with a renewed determination, we started attacking Grouville as a unit, this was unnerving Grouville who had several players cautioned for leaving in the boot, a ball through the middle from either Jo Jo or Phil (sorry can’t recall) , Jo Jo I believe, was met by Elliot who very sweetly lifted the ball over the advancing centre back and keeper in to the net. This is probably the most vocal I have ever heard the team. True to form Grouville came right back at St Peter and scored their third following a run down the left hand side by that man “Syvret” who cut inside and drove across the keeper into the right hand corner. St Peters heads refused to drop and without doubt Grouville were rattled, resulting in a handball and the award of a penalty. The ball was grabbed by Harrison , a left footer taking a penalty what is the world coming too, however the fears were misplaced and Harrison as cool as you like struck the ball with just enough height and pace to prevent the keeper saving (although he did get a hand to it – Harri must try harder next time). 3-2 to Grouville with 15 minutes left.

The lads were now justifying the belief shown by the coaches, St Peters began to dominate the play, five minutes to go St Peters equalised through Mr Boarer who returned to the squad following what seems like a long absence ( he always has an edge to him), starting with his back to goal turned in the penalty box and drove the ball through a crowded box passed the unsighted keeper. 3-3 , five minutes to go. At this point you could see the confidence draining from Grouville, a late run in the last minute of the game saw Jacques cut in to the box and force a great save from the keeper. Final whistle 3-3. This was a very good team performance, every one pulling their weight so much so it is hard to single out any individuals for praise, well done to you all.

The game was a stressful pleasure.

Next match this weekend v St Brelade’s.

Steve Huckerby